Estuario seeks applications for an experienced, full-time Project Officer responsible for overseeing the successful project management and operations of Bipartisan Infrastructure Act (BIL) projects, including, but not limited to, water quality restoration, blue/green infrastructure, and climate/coastal resilience. See the listing at: https://estuario.org/job-announcement-project-officer-bipartisan-infrastructure-law-funding/
The Estuario Project Coordinator – Citizen Science Certification Program will be responsible for training citizens in the Coastal Resilience module of the Estuario Citizen Science Certification Program. See the listing, in: https://estuario.org/contract-announcement-estuario-project-coordinator-citizen-scientist-certification-program-3/
2,200 mangroves sown as part of Estuario's certification for citizen scientists
Certification for citizen scientists
- May 3: Introduction to Water Quality Monitoring – with Eliezer Nieves Rodríguez
- May 10: Introduction to Participatory Bird Censuses – with Eliezer Nieves Rodríguez
- May 17: Introduction to Microplastics and Other Aquatic Debris – with Eliezer Nieves Rodríguez
- May 24: Introduction to Coastal Resilience – with Patria Aponte Marcano
- May 2: Thematic workshop—Coral Reef Ecological Assessment; 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
- May 6: Field trip—monitoring coral communities; 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., location will be shared upon registration.
- May 13: Field trip—red mangrove planting: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., in Isabela
- May 30: Thematic workshop—Ecological Restoration with Red Mangrove Planting; 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. via Zoom.
Sign up today! View all events and additional information about the certification process and thematic modules, in https://estuario.org/ccc/.
Family day trip at the Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve
- 12:00 p.m. – Our information table opens
- 2:30 p.m. – Estuarine games for kids: Learn through low-impact games for kids, while mom enjoys the macramé workshop.
- 3:00 p.m. – Macramé workshop for mom: Come and learn to make crafts in macramé, we will make key chains and bookmarks.
- 4:00 p.m. – Pilates class for mom: Enjoy these mind-and-body controlled exercises, aimed especially at mom. Don’t forget to bring your mat.
- 5:00 p.m. – DJ Kids—Sunset Silent Disco Party: Ecological and conscious event, which teaches us different ways to enjoy natural areas in a healthy way. Come and enjoy the talent of these young DJs. You will need to register to get your headphones, it will require an ID. Bring your reusable bottle.
- 7:00 p.m. – Estuary Cinema Presents: Dune (2021)
Las actividades están abiertas a todo el público y son libres de costo. Puedes confirmar tu asistencia al pasadía familiar para recibir actualizaciones e información adicional, en https://estuario.org/eventos/. ¡Les esperamos!
Media coverage and publications
Patria I. Aponte Marcano. April 22, 2023. Urgente restaurar los arrecifes de coral. Opinión. El Nuevo Día. p.44.
Renia Rosa. April 22, 2023. Llamado urgente a frenar la contaminación por plástico. Suplementos. El Nuevo Día. pp.4-5. [Versión web]
Weekly Water Quality Monitoring
Evaluation conducted on Thursday, April 27, 2023. We have a RED flag for the Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve. Although the calculations present a measurement below the water quality parameter for enterococci (70 CFU/100mL), we recommend avoiding the water since four of the five stations scored high bacteriological counts.