The San Juan Bay Estuary Program (Estuario) is a private non-profit organization in charge of restoring the quality of the waters in the San Juan Metropolitan Region. Estuario is seeking a Water Quality and Citizen Science Coordinator to join our highly skilled team to assist in planning/implementing advanced water quality monitoring efforts. The Water Quality and Citizen Science Coordinator will be highly collaborative as well as being organized, self-directed, and focused. The Coordinator is outgoing, energetic, dedicated to Estuario’s mission.
- Lead Estuario’s Water Quality Monitoring Program based on the “Quality Assurance Project Plan for the San Juan Bay Estuary Program”, as approved by USEPA
- Follow the “Standards Operating Procedures” of the Program.
- Support volunteer involvement in the Monitoring Program by offering training through the Estuario’s Citizen Science Certification Program.
- Provide volunteers with resources and supplies.
- Provide general assistance to volunteers including station selection, training refreshers, and answer questions.
- Troubleshoot and repair malfunctioning equipment.
- Assist with logistics and resources for workshops, events, meetings, field research, and community education.
- Assist in developing a yearly sampling plan for advanced water quality parameters at both field and subwatershed scales.
- Collect field samples for water assessment as needed.
- Coordinate sampling dates, storage, labeling and shipment of samples.
- Enter water quality data into database.
- Conduct yearly inventory of monitoring supplies and request refills as needed.
- Provide education to the general public and area schools.
- Create educational display materials for events, workshops and storefront windows.
- Bachelor’s degree in ecology, biology, natural resource management, environmental science, or equivalent experience
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in excel, word, outlook, and databases
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with youth and community members
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Strong understanding of environmental issues
- Must be a motivated self-starter and team player
- Must have project management skills including multi-tasking abilities
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Flexibility to meet changing project priorities and demands
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume/CV by email no later than Friday, July 26, 2019 to: email@example.com. The email must be directed to Brenda Torres, Executive Director, and must specify in the subject the title of the position, «Water Quality Coordinator».
THE SAN JUAN BAY ESTUARY PROGRAM
The San Juan Bay Estuary Program (SJBEP) is part of the National Estuary Program (NEP), created under Section 320 of the Clean Water Act (CWA), and managed nationally by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA). Its mission is to improve the water quality of the San Juan Bay Estuary. Per Section 320 of the CWA, each of the 28 entities affiliated to the NEP must submit to EPA Administrator a Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP) to guide the restoration efforts of the most important coastal ecosystems for the economy of the Nation. The main responsibility of each organization under the NEP is to coordinate and measure the implementation of the plan in partnership with the community, state, local, and federal governments and the Academia.
The Corporation for the Conservation of the SJBE provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or genetics.