Certification for citizen scientists
Here are the next scheduled workshops and field trips. See more information and register on https://estuario.org/ccc/.
Water Quality Module:
- September 7 – Field trip: bacteriological monitoring in Laguna del Condado and nearby beaches – from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Coastal Resilience Module:
Explore the coral reefs of the San Juan Bay estuary. Participate in the elective workshop of the coastal resilience module of our citizen scientist certification: Ecological Evaluation of Coral Communities; on Tuesday, September 5, 2023, at 7:00 p.m. through Zoom. Then join us for the field trip, where we will evaluate the coral communities of the Balneario del Escambrón, on Thursday, September 7 at 7:00 a.m. See you there!
Sign up today: https://estuario.org/ccc/
For high school students, the field trip will be on Saturday, September 9, at 8:00 a.m. For more information about certification for high school students and to coordinate green contact hours certification, email [email protected].
More events from the coastal resilience module:
- September 2 – Field trip: planting of coastal vegetation – from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. in the mangrove near the Arecibo Yacht Club
- September 9 – Field trip: planting of coastal vegetation – from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. in Laguna del Condado
- September 12 – Ecological assessment of fish and their aquatic communities – elective workshop from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. by Zoom
- September 14 – Dunes and mangroves – elective workshop from 7:00 pm. To 8:00 p.m. by Zoom
- September 15 – Field trip: red mangrove monitoring – from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. in Laguna del Condado
- September 17 – Field Trip: Monitoring Fish and Coral Communities [for high school students] – 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Los sonidos del estuario
Visit the installation: The sounds of the estuary; with resident artist Armando Román, which continues on display on the second floor of Taller Comunidad La Goyco until Saturday, September 2, 2023, from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
See you there!
You can listen to The Sounds of the Estuary, here.
Estuario’s actions continue for a resilient coast
Thank you to all the students and volunteers who joined us!
See the photo galleries;
Message from your Virtual Community Hub
Take advantage of our information platform, the Estuario Virtual Community Hub, where you will find vital information to prepare with your family and community.
To learn about risk mitigation strategies at Estuario and identify the risks, conditions and assets in your community, go to: https://estuario.org/mitigacion/
Weekly water quality monitoring
Evaluation conducted on Thursday, August 31, 2023. We have a GREEN flag for the Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve. Some areas on the coast exceeded the water quality standard (70 CFU/100 ml). We recommend avoiding these areas. Remember to avoid the water during rain events. Have a great weekend!