Estuario Weekly Update
Greetings to our estuarine public! Below, we share opportunities for collaboration, volunteerism and training for this week, through initiatives and actions programmed for the benefit of the ecosystems of the San Juan Bay Estuary and their communities.
We have available the following calls:
- Participation Facilitator—Project for the Detection and Correction of Illicit Downloads
- Stakeholder and Engagement Coordinator
- Project Officer
- Estuario Resident Artists
- Professional Consulting Services—Economic Valuation Study
See all calls on https://estuario.org/avisos/.
Certification for citizen scientists
Shoutout to all those who have participated in the round of elective workshops of Estuario’s Certification for Citizen Scientists Program! The next workshop will be:
- Coral Reef Ecological Assessment – Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 7:00 p.m.
This will be done virtually, through Zoom.
Read more about the Certification for Citizen Scientists Program, its thematic modules, certification process and scheduled activities, in https://estuario.org/ccc/.
Workshops and field trips through the coastal resilience module
In addition to the round of elective workshops of the Certification for Citizen Scientists Program, we will offer a workshop and field trip for the coastal resilience module: Mangroves for more resilient communities, in collaboration with Surfrider Foundation Puerto Rico.
The workshop will be held on Tuesday, February 21, 2023, at 7:00 p.m. virtually via Zoom. The field trip will consist of a mangrove planting at Secret Spot Beach, in Isabela, on Saturday, February 25. Sign up for both events in https://estuario.org/ccc/.
Family Day Trip at Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve
On Saturday, March 4, 2023, we will hold the next family day at the Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve, with the following activities:
- 8:00 a.m.–10:00 a.m.: Underwater and terrestrial cleaning of the Lagoon
- 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.: Reserve Plant Identification Workshop
- 4:00 p.m.–6:00 p.m.: Family Games , “Goofy Games”
- 6:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.: Water Quality Day Training Workshop
And at 7:00 p.m., stay for Cine del Estuario! This event is open to the public. Sign up forhttps://estuario.org/eventos/ to receive additional information and updates. For additional questions, you can also write to [email protected]. See you there!
Cine del Estuario
Water Quality Day
The fifteenth Water Quality Day will be on Saturday, April 1, 2023. Have you already chosen your body of water yet? Registration is open! Create your group, choose your body of water and register it in: https://estuario.org/diadecalidaddeagua/.
We have scheduled new training workshop dates for this event. The workshops will be face-to-face, on the following dates:
- Saturday, March 4, 2023, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Universidad Interamericana, Recinto de Fajardo
- Taller Comunidad La Goyco, Santurce
- Saturday, March 4, 2023, 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- In the Jaime Benítez Park of the Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve
- Saturday, March 11, 2023, 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Universidad Interamericana, Recinto de Bayamón
Confirm your attendance today. Register for your preferred workshop in https://estuario.org/diadecalidaddeagua/. Any questions or doubts, you can write to us at [email protected].
Weekly water quality monitoring
Evaluation conducted Thursday, February 16, 2023. We have a RED flag for the Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve. We recommend avoiding areas that exceeded the water quality parameter for enterococci (70 CFU/100 ml), and being on the lookout for rainfall events.
The actions for the restoration and management of bodies of water within the San Juan Bay Estuary Watershed are possible thanks to the public. Donations to the San Juan Bay Estuary Program are deductible from Puerto Rico and US tax returns.
For more info, go to https://estuario.org/donate/.
Follow us on social media, where we share information on activities which will contribute to your knowledge and personal and professional development. If you have any doubts or questions, please contact us through [email protected].
Register as a volunteer, HERE.