The San Juan Bay Estuary Program (ESTUARIO) is seeking an outstanding professional to serve as Water Quality Monitoring and Citizen Science Coordinator and assist in planning and implementing advanced water quality monitoring efforts. The ideal candidate is energetic, collaborative, organized, self-directed, and focused. Must have excellent organizational and communication skills and be dedicated to Estuario’s mission.
Include but are not limited to:
- Oversee and implement ESTUARIO’s Water Quality Monitoring Program based on the “Quality Assurance Project Plan for the San Juan Bay Estuary Program”, as approved by the US EPA, including but not limited to:
- Assist in developing a yearly sampling plan for advanced water quality parameters at both field and subwatershed scales.
- Collect field samples for water assessment, as needed.
- Condado Lagoon – Remotely and continuously
- Estuary – Weekly (Bacteriological)
- Watershed – Monthly (Physical and Chemical Properties)
- Islandwide – Yearly (DMCA)
- Coordinate sampling dates, storage, labeling and shipment of samples.
- Enter water quality data into the database.
- Conduct yearly inventory of monitoring supplies and request refills as needed.
- Follow the “Standards Operating Procedures” of the SJBEP.
- Support current volunteers involved in ESTUARIO’s Water Quality Monitoring Program:
- Provide volunteers with resources and supplies.
- Provide general assistance to volunteers including station selection, training refreshers, and answer questions.
- Troubleshoot and repair malfunctioning equipment.
- Oversee the delivery and expansion of ESTUARIO’s Citizen Science Certification:
- Coordinate the development and implementation of a new module focusing on tropical coastal ecosystems, such as mangroves and coral reefs, within ESTUARIO’s Citizen Science Certification Program.
- Facilitate new volunteers joining ESTUARIO’s Water Quality Monitoring Program by offering training through the Citizen Science Certification monude in Water Quality Monitoring.
- Oversee the coordination Water Quality Monitoring Day, Puerto Rico’s largest citizens science event.
- Oversee ESTUARIO’s empowerment initiatives in education including, but not limited to:
- Guardianes del Estuario
- Assist with logistics and resources for workshops, events, meetings, field research, and community education.
- Provide education to the general public and area schools.
- Create educational display materials for events, workshops and storefront windows.
- Support the implementation of all work plans, as necessary.
QUALITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred, in ecology, biology, natural resource management, environmental science, or related fields.
- Five years of professional experience. At least two of those years must be in coordinating projects in the above-mentioned or related fields. Experience working with youth and communities is a plus.
- Availability to begin working by February 28, 2022.
- Each candidate for each position must be a(n):
- Exceptional project manager and team player who thrives in facilitating collaboration within multi-disciplinary, fast-paced teams.
- Creative problem solver with a knack for anticipating issues and addressing them in a timely manner.
- Triage expert who manages time efficiently to deliver on competing priorities.
- Tactful, engaging, and clear communicator, both orally and in writing, internally and publicly.
- Astute critical and systems thinker who excels in collecting, compiling, analyzing, and evaluating complex datasets, extracting information, drafting conclusions, and presenting findings in a way that is relevant and helpful to different audiences.
- Proactive and independent worker with excellent attention to detail without compromising the big picture.
- Google Business Suite maverick who enjoys keeping everything and everyone organized, on time, on schedule, and on budget.
- Provide their own personal computer and transportation.
Commensurate with experience.
Candidates interested in the Water Quality Monitoring and Citizen Science Coordinator, please submit a cover letter and resume/CV by email no later than February 11, 2022 to: [email protected].
The email and cover letter must be directed to Brenda Torres, Executive Director, and must specify in the subject your name and the specific title of the position. i.e. <>
Interviews will take place between February 15 and 17, 2022.
Source of funding: EPA GRANT CE99206927
The San Juan Bay Estuary Program (ESTUARIO) is a private non-profit organization in charge of restoring and conserving the quality of the natural waters across the San Juan Bay Estuary Watershed, which includes the municipalities of Bayamón, Carolina, Canóvanas, Cataño, Guaynabo, Loíza, San Juan, Trujillo Alto, and Toa Baja.