Estuario Weekly Update
Greetings! Through our weekly update, we inform about events, projects, activities and training opportunities for residents and friends of the communities of the San Juan Bay estuary watershed.
The coordinator must enthusiastically integrate all sectors into the event and lead their participation, considering and improving upon the data from previous years. The coordinator’s primary goal should be access to clean and safe water for all in Puerto Rico.
The San Juan Bay Estuary Partnership (Estuario) is seeking qualified applicants for the Estuario Project Coordinator- Juan Méndez Creek position to carry out the reconnaissance study and develop report, manage data, support with coordination with USACE and any other support needed to manage technical aspects for the Juan Mendez Creek Restoration.
Estuario seeks a senior level expert/technical to bring support as a Technical Facilitator to lead an analysis of the conditions of the Juan Mendez Creek with the input from the Infrastructure Committee.
Estuario seeks qualified applicants for the field technician position to conduct a rapid needs assessment, gather data, conduct analysis, document, and present the results of the rapid needs assessment.
Estuario seeks proposals from qualified firms/individuals for Podcast Services to document the restoration of the Juan Méndez Creek under the funds of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL).
The Stakeholder and Engagement Coordinator supports Estuario’s role as a regional convener, catalyst, and facilitator to restore and maintain clean waters that support thriving ecosystems, healthy communities, and a vibrant ecosystem in the San Juan Bay Estuary and its urbanized watershed.
The Citizen Science and Education Manager is responsible for overseeing the implementation of the Estuario’s capacity building efforts and education efforts at a regional level. This position will help develop and communicate data related to baseline conditions through habitat, restoration, or coastal resilience initiatives, volunteer monitoring, and other data sets through education efforts.
Certification for Citizen Scientists
Water Quality Module:
- November 22 – Field Trip: Water Quality Monitoring; with Rebeca Rivera, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at Laguna del Condado and bordering beaches
Coastal Resilience Module:
- November 18 – Field trip: planting coastal vegetation [STUDENTS 9-12]; with Andreína Alexatos, from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve
- November 18 – Field trip: planting of coastal vegetation [adults and youth]; with Andreína Alexatos, from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve
- November 19 – Field Trip: Ecological Assessment of Seagrass Communities; with Daritzel Cintron, from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at the Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve
- November 19 – Field Trip: Ecological Assessment of Seagrass Communities [STUDENTS 9-12]; with Daritzel Cintron, 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at the Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve
- November 25 – Field Trip: Ecological Assessment of Seagrass Communities [STUDENTS 9-12]; with Daritzel Cintron, 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve
- November 30 – Introduction to Coastal Resilience Workshop; with Coral Avilés, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
#GivingTuesday is back!
Our work to restore and manage the San Juan Bay Estuary is made possible thanks to the collaboration of citizens, municipalities, and government agencies (among others); through the exchange of infrastructure and scientific and technical data to support effective projects. However, beyond infrastructure, the most precious resource of the Estuario and its collaborators is an informed and involved public.
With this goal in mind, we are training citizens in environmental restoration practices through our certification of citizen scientists in coastal resilience. This effort requires an investment of approximately $100,000 per year. A donation from you this #GivingTuesday helps us get closer to this goal and continue to train, reforest, and collect data to improve the quality of our waters.
#GivingTuesday takes place on Tuesday, November 28, 2023. There are multiple ways you can donate. Find out how, at: https://estuario.org/donar/
Cine del Estuario
Cine del Estuario presents: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever; on Saturday, December 2, 2023, at 7:00 p.m. in the Jaime Benítez Park of the Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve. As always, this feature will be free of cost. The film will be screened with Spanish audio and English subtitles. See you there!
Monitoreo bacteriológico semanal
Evaluation conducted on Thursday, November 16, 2023. We have a GREEN flag for the Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve. Most of the monitoring stations complied with the Beach Action Value water quality standard of 70 CFU/100 ML. We recommend avoiding areas that did not comply. Have a good weekend!