The San Juan Bay Estuary Program (Estuario) is a private non-profit organization that designs, implements, and provides restorative maintenance in order to improve the water quality and ecosystems within its eight municipalities. Estuario’s mission is to restore and conserve the water quality in the Estuario de la Bahía de San Juan ecosystem as a sustainable hub of social and economic development.
Estuario is the only tropical estuary in the National Estuary Program, providing not only environmental and resiliency programs, but also educational and recreational activities that support thriving communities.
The San Juan Bay Estuary Program (Estuario) is seeking an experienced full-time Grants and Compliance Manager to develop and manage a sustainable grants program that will further the organization’s mission of restoring and conserving water quality in the San Juan Bay Estuary ecosystem. The Estuario’s work is guided by the development and implementation of the Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP). The Estuario works to build partnerships and leverage federal funding for regional-scale restoration, water quality improvement, and resilience-building projects.
The Grants and Compliance Manager will be responsible for the overall management of grants, compliance, and grant writing to support the strategic priorities of the Estuario by effectively managing the grant lifecycle, from pre-award stage to final closure of grants necessary for CCMP implementation.
In addition, the position will be responsible for researching, preparing, submitting, and managing grant proposals/reports that support agency goals and meet funder guidelines and criteria. This person serves as the primary grant writer, manages funder relationships, engages in compliance reporting, and supports special project initiatives. This position requires strong writing, data analysis, program budgeting, and project management skills, with an emphasis on outcome measurement.
- Manages overall grant efforts, ensuring compliance with grant regulations, reviewing and developing grant proposals, managing grant databases, engaging with donor agencies, educating staff on policies and compliance procedures.
- Develops sustainable and effective grants programs, optimizing the grant administrative process by ensuring compliance with all grant regulations, engaging with donor agencies, and preparing reports.
- Designs grant programs and develops work plans and budgets with the Executive Director and Sr Program Manager and collaborates with the staff members to integrate their input.
- Ensures grant compliance and reporting, including outcome measurement and grant budgets—taking responsibility for meeting high standards of effectiveness, timeliness, and completeness, including
- Monitoring and maintaining funder and investor reporting schedules and requirements;
- Tracking progress toward organizational and programmatic outcomes and goals;
- Requesting reimbursements and drawdowns as needed;
- Assembling all necessary supporting materials and documents including budget reports, outcome measurements, success stories, etc.; submit reports to funders and investors
- Ensure compliance with the rules and regulations administered by the grantor; oversee special audits conducted by grantor.
- Performs functions of financial administration and reporting, including preparation and timely submission of grant applications and reports, development and adjustment of associated budgets, coordination of budgeted funds, screening, and support in processing requests for expenditures and purchases.
- Tracks and reports progress toward organizational and programmatic outcomes and goals.
- Provides financial administration support to the Executive Director and the administration/operations team.
- Assists in evaluating the fiscal administration of grant programs.
- Leads grant proposal development and submission- preparing, organizing, and submitting materials for proposals.
- Serves as the primary grant writer and develops, and prepares proposals, Letters of Intent (LOIs), grant application narratives, and budgets in collaboration with staff.
- Drafts compelling progress reports and targeted program updates (e.g. blog posts, press releases, FB and Twitter posts) to funders that fully capture programmatic success and impact.
- Enhances funding models, identifies new sources of funding, and tracks grant opportunities.
- Reinforces and fosters relationships with donors as needed
- Maintains a master calendar of grants and prospects and all associated files and correspondence.
- Researches statistics, trends, and data for grant proposals and community advocacy.
- Oversees the initiation and implementation of funded projects, both public and private.
- Facilitates successful project implementation.
- Ensures that all staff members are knowledgeable in proper project management and implementation strategies.
- Partners with grants project staff to ensure that hiring occurs in an appropriate time frame.
- Ensures that projects follow all internal policies and procedures.
- Coordinates sub-granting arrangements and partnerships.
- Requests grant change requests of funding agencies as needed.
- Assists in any other tasks to advance the work plans of the organization.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred in Public Administration, Public Policy, Management, Business Administration or related fields
- Over 5 years of experience in grant and/or project administration and coordination, preferably experience with nonprofit administration
- Experience working with procedures governing state, federal, and private grant proposal submissions, funder selection criteria and post-award funder expectations, preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrate excellent creative, strategic, analytical and, organizational skills and strong process orientation.
- Strong written communication skills, particularly in technical writing and development of grant proposals
- Flexible and a self-starter; able to manage multiple projects at a time while also being highly detail oriented with an attention to quality.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office, cloud-based data access and share software such as Google Drive, and other software such as Adobe, etc required.
Commensurate with experience.
Fully bilingual in English and Spanish.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates please submit a cover letter and resume/CV by email no later than September 12, 2022: [email protected]. The email and cover letter must be directed to Brenda Torres, Executive Director, and must specify in the subject the title of the position, «Grants and Compliance Manager».
Source of funding: EPA 320 Grant CE99206928
The Corporation for the Conservation of the SJBE provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or genetics. MBE/WBE and other certified minorities and small businesses are encouraged to apply.