The San Juan Bay Estuary Program (Estuario) is seeking qualified applicant for an Administrative Assistant contract position to support to the senior leadership, Grants Management and Operations team, and the organization on a variety of program-wide tasks to carry out the goals of the Estuario. The ideal candidate will be self-directed, service-oriented, and committed to advancing Estuario’s mission.
The San Juan Bay Estuary Program (Estuario) is a private non-profit organization that designs, implements, and provides restorative maintenance in order to improve the water quality and ecosystems within its eight municipalities. Estuario’s mission is to restore and conserve the water quality in the Estuario de la Bahía de San Juan ecosystem as a sustainable hub of social and economic development.
Estuario is the only tropical estuary in the National Estuary Program, providing not only environmental and resiliency programs, but also educational and recreational activities that support thriving communities.
The Estuario’s work is guided by the development and implementation of the Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP). In collaboration with local, state, and federal agencies, NGOs, academic, and business leaders, the Estuario works to restore and conserve water quality in the San Juan Bay Estuary ecosystem. The Estuario works to build partnerships and leverage federal funding for regional-scale restoration, water quality improvement, and resilience-building projects.
The successful applicant will demonstrate experience and effectiveness in office administration, bookkeeping tasks, public records management, and cultivating a positive and inclusive work environment. They will exhibit a positive attitude and high level of professionalism.
- Organize and coordinate office administration and procedures to ensure organizational effectiveness, efficiency, and safety adhering to internal policies and procedures and grant requirements
- Provide administrative support to the leadership team and staff, including taking minutes, filing paperwork, preparing, and distributing meeting materials
- Answers phone calls, takes messages, schedules meetings, and supports visitors
- Serves as organization’s IT liaison. Ensures operation of equipment by maintain equipment inventory, preventive maintenance requirements, calling for repairs, and evaluating new equipment
- Maintains supplies inventory by checking stock on a regular basis, anticipate needed supplies, placing, and expediting orders for supplies
- Point person for picking up mail at post office, mailing, shipping, supplies, equipment, bills and errands
- Ensure office efficiency is maintained by carrying out planning and execution of equipment, procurement, layouts and office systems
- Develop office procedures and systems for office personnel, including filing, billing, accounts payable, payroll and scheduling
- Maintains office supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; evaluating new office products; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Secures information by completing data base backups.
- Manage reimbursements- records, documentation, etc
- Making travel arrangements for staff as needed such as booking reservations
- Ensure filing systems for projects are current and maintained.
- Develop standards and promote activities that enhance operational procedures
- Facilitate internal communication (e.g. distribute information and schedule presentations)
- Provide general administrative and operational support.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Associate degree in Accounting, Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field and at least four years’ experience; or
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field and at least two years’ experience or
- An equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
- Understanding and experience working with fund accounting principles and grant financial management.
- General knowledge and experience working with state and federal procurement regulations, regulations related to requests for proposals solicited from a state government agency, and other policies pertinent to the general operations of the Estuario
- Experience working with general bookkeeping, including purchase order requisition, invoicing, accounts payable and receivable processing, and federal reimbursements.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Basic knowledge and understanding of the Estuario; our mission and strategic plan; and the governance structure.
- Provide exceptional service, internally and externally. Adapt and continually improve.
- Attend work regularly and on-time.
- Exercise discretion and discern and maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated organizational skills, attention to detail, can anticipate needs, take initiative, and be resourceful.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams.
- Proven experience supporting multiple teams.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of products, particularly Outlook (managing a contact database), Word, and Excel (creating charts and graphics).
- Ability to prepare, edit, compile, and format a variety of documents and reports.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience managing an office space and associated technology and equipment.
- Provide their own personal computer and transportation.
Commensurate with experience.
Fully bilingual in English and Spanish.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates please submit a cover letter and resume/CV by email no later than September 30, 2022: [email protected]. The email and cover letter must be directed to Brenda Torres, Executive Director, and must specify in the subject the title of the position, «Administrative Assistant».
Source of funding: EPA 320 Grant CE99206928
The Corporation for the Conservation of the SJBE provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or genetics. MBE/WBE and other certified minorities and small businesses are encouraged to apply.