Led by the San Juan Bay Estuary Program, Water Quality Monitoring Day (WQMD) is the largest citizen scientist event in Puerto Rico, as well as the only water quality monitoring event held at the island level. More than 10,000 citizen scientists have participated since 2009, and this year we celebrate its fourteenth edition, becoming official in August 2022.
We are looking for a Coordinator to organize this event. The coordinator should integrate all population sectors into the WQMD with enthusiasm and promote their participation, considering data gathered from previous years. The primary goal of the event is to underscore the importance of providing access to clean and safe water for all in Puerto Rico.
Main responsibilities will be:
- Promote collaboration between organizations, academia, government agencies and private corporations to participate.
- Offer workshops on the methodology for the collection of water samples at the island level.
- Distribute monitoring and information materials to monitoring stations.
- Provide support to groups and individuals who are participating before, during, and after the event.
- Recruit volunteers throughout the Island.
- Establish communications with organizations, private entities, community groups and schools.
- Responsible for the maintenance and inventory of monitoring materials.
- Collect and digitize all the data of the results.
- Generate final report of the event.
- Experience coordinating events (preferable).
- Possess skills of coordination of workshops and group trainings.
- Preferably to have participated in the Puerto Rico Water Quality Monitoring Day.
- Effective communication skills.
- Organizational skills, time management and meetings with the public.
- Have a personal computer, own a car, and have availability to travel through the Island.
The duration of employment is from April 25 to September 23, 2022. Please direct your summary to Brenda Torres, Executive Director of the SJBEP, to [email protected], with the Subject: Estuario coordinator for water quality monitoring day. The deadline to apply is April 15, 2022.
The Corporation for the Conservation of the San Juan Bay Estuary does not discriminate based on race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity, or sexual orientation. Our policy is to provide equal opportunities for all.