The San Juan Bay Estuary Program (Estuario) is seeking a Public Involvement and Education Specialist to assist in the design and implementation of engagement and education strategies. The Public Involvement and Education Specialist will be highly collaborative, organized, self-directed, and focused.
- Design and conduct an engagement strategy to strengthen Estuario’s Water Community Network.
- Support the 5-Year Monitoring and Corrective Program through an educational program aimed at training and empowering local-based community groups through the Estuario’s Water Community Network.
- Support the development of the Green Infrastructure Master Plan and Immediate Reforestation by providing educational workshops.
- Incorporate residents and users into the planning and decision-making processes related to Estuario’s resilience efforts.
- Translate technical information related to storm water management, hazard mitigation planning and climate change adaptation into everyday language.
- Review, edit and update documents and presentations of the estuarine education program.
- Provide education to the general public and area schools.
- Bachelor’s degree required and Master’s Degree preferred in Environmental Education, Geography or Environmental Sciences, from an accredited university
- Experience coordinating community-based educational projects and conducting workshops and interpretive tours for various learning communities.
- Experience working with some of the Estuary Program monitoring and volunteers’ projects: Such as Water Quality, Microplastics, Research or Education/Interpretation Internships.
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in excel, word, power point, and social networks, as well as Canvas and Google Forms.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; in both languages, English and Spanish
- Strong understanding of environmental issues and of PR biodiversity, estuarine ecosystems and bird identification.
- Must be a motivated self-starter and team player
- Must have project management skills including multi-tasking abilities
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Flexibility to meet changing project priorities and demands
- Own transportation and computer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume/CV by email no later than October 22, 2021 to: [email protected]. The email must be directed to [email protected], and must specify in the subject the title of the position, «Environmental Education Specialist”
The San Juan Bay Estuary Program (SJBEP) is part of the National Estuary Program (NEP), created under Section 320 of the Clean Water Act (CWA), and managed nationally by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA). Its mission is to improve the water quality of the San Juan Bay Estuary. Per Section 320 of the CWA, each of the 28 entities affiliated to the NEP must submit to EPA Administrator a Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP) to guide the restoration efforts of the most important coastal ecosystems for the economy of the Nation. The main responsibility of each organization under the NEP is to coordinate and measure the implementation of the plan in partnership with the community, state, local, and federal governments and the Academia.
The Corporation for the Conservation of the SJBE provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or genetics.