Estuario Weekly Update
An estuarine greeting! Below you’ll find collaboration, volunteering, and training opportunities for this week, scheduled in benefit of the San Juan Bay Estuary ecosystems and their communities.
Certification for citizen scientists
- August 1 – elective workshop – Coral Reef Ecological Assessment; 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
- August 2 – elective workshop – Ecological restoration of mangroves; 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
- August 8 – elective workshop – Ecological assessment of fish and aquatic communities; 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
- August 15 – elective workshop – Ecological Assessment of Seagrass; 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
- August 30 – Introductory Workshop: Coastal Resilience; 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
- August 9 – elective workshop – Bird Censuses, an introduction to eBird; 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
- August 16 – Elective Workshop – Water Quality: Monitoring and Relevance; 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
- August 23 – elective workshop – From plastics to microplastics—public policy and its impacts; 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. by Zoom
Sign up at https://estuario.org/ccc/.
- August 5 – field trip – mangrove monitoring [for high school students]; 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- August 6 – field trip – monitoring coral communities [for high school students]; 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- August 12 – field trip – Ecological assessment of fish and aquatic communities [for high school students]; 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- August 19 – field trip – Monitoring Seagrass Communities [for high school students]; 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- August 26 – field trip – Monitoring coral grass communities [for high school students]; 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Family day trip at Laguna del Condado Estuarine Nature Reserve
We will have the following activities:
[8:00 a.m.] – Red mangrove monitoring
[2:00 p.m.] – Ethnobotany workshop for tour guides [registration required]
[3:30 p.m.] – Basic classes and Olympic wrestling exhibition
[5:00 p.m.] – Inauguration of the Mural with conscience
[6:45 p.m.] – Prelude to Cine del estuario
[7:00 p.m.] – Cine del Estuario presents Top Gun: Maverick
View additional information about activities and RSVP on https://estuario.org/eventos/. Remember to register to participate in the ethnobotany workshop. See you then!
We are celebrating a plastic-free July! Estuario’s responsible solid waste management initiatives, Que no toque el piso ni llegue al agua and Deja una huella limpia en Piñones, advise you on actions you can take to reduce your plastic use. This week: use biodegradable or compostable packaging!
Learn what steps you can take to reduce your plastic footprint, as a citizen and as a business owner. Watch the recording of the informative workshop: Knowing Act 51-2022—Law for the prohibition of single-use plastics; held on Saturday, July 22, in https://estuario.org/desechos-acuaticos/.
Estuario Resident Artists
Stop by Jaime Benítez Park! The resident artist, Angélica Rivera, has completed her project, Mural with conscience. This was possible thanks to the participation of members of the public in the flora and fauna illustration workshops in the Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve. The mural will be inaugurated on Saturday, July 5, during the Family Day. Don’t miss it!
EPA Visit to Condado Lagoon
Between crossings of avenues and heavy rain, the group of about 50 participants arrived at the reserve guided by Brenda Torres Barreto, executive director of Estuario, and Coral Avilés, our education coordinator.
Once there, Mario García, coordinator of activities through Estuario, received the group and briefed them on ongoing actions for the conservation of the Reserve. Awesome!
Amanda Pérez Pintado. July 25, 2023. Consejo Asesor Nacional de Justicia Ambiental de la EPA se reúne por primera vez en Puerto Rico. El Nuevo Día. Web. https://www-elnuevodia-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/locales/notas/consejo-asesor-nacional-de-justicia-ambiental-de-la-epa-se-reune-por-primera-vez-en-puerto-rico/amp/
Rose Schnabel. July 23, 2023. Exploración con todos los sentidos. Ambiente hoy. El Nuevo Día. pp. 36-37.
Message from your Virtual Community Hub
Take advantage of our information platform, the Estuario Virtual Community Hub, where you will find vital information to prepare with your family and community.
To learn about risk mitigation strategies at Estuario and identify the risks, conditions and assets in your community, go to: https://estuario.org/mitigacion/