Compliance Officer – Estuario is seeking a Compliance Officer to join our highly skilled grants management team. This position will help ensure successful management of grants funded by federal and local government agencies.
Certification of citizen scientists
- August 8 – Ecological Assessment of Fish and Aquatic Communities – elective workshop; 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
- August 12 – Field trip: Coral reef ecological assessment; 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at Laguna del Condado
- August 15 – Ecological Assessment of Seagrasses – elective workshop; 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
- August 19 – Field Trip: Monitoring Seagrass Communities – 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at Laguna del Condado
- August 30 – Introductory Workshop: Coastal Resilience; 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
- August 9 – Bird Censuses, an introduction to eBird – elective workshop; 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
- August 16 – Water Quality: Monitoring and Relevance – Elective Workshop; 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. by Zoom
- August 23 – From Plastics to Microplastics—Public Policy and Its Impacts – Elective Workshop; 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
- August 5 – Field trip: mangrove monitoring [for high school students]; 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- August 6 – Field trip: monitoring coral communities [for high school students]; 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- August 12 – Field trip: Ecological assessment of fish and aquatic communities [for high school students]; 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- August 19 – Field trip: monitoring seagrass communities [for high school students]; 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- August 26 – Field trip: Seagrass monitoring [for high school students]; 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Family day at Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve
We will have the following activities:
[8:00 a.m.] – Red mangrove monitoring
[2:00 p.m.] – Ethnobotany workshop for tour guides [registration required]
[3:30 p.m.] – Basic classes and Olympic wrestling exhibition
[5:00 p.m.] – Inauguration of the Mural with conscience
[6:45 p.m.] – Prelude to Cine del Estuario
[7:00 p.m.] – Cine del Estuario presents Top Gun: Maverick
View additional information about activities and RSVP on https://estuario.org/eventos/. Remember to register to participate in the ethnobotany workshop. We are waiting for you!
Inauguration of the Mural with conscience
Join us at the inauguration of the Mural with conscience! The collaborative art project, led by the Estuario Resident Artist, Angélica Rivera, was possible thanks to the contribution of neighbors, friends, and collaborators of the Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve. We are waiting for you, on August 5, at 5:00 p.m. at Jaime Benítez Park.
Planting in the Community Orchard, Nursery and Urban Forest of Capetillo
See the photos: field trip of the microplastics characterization and reduction module
Last Friday, July 28, 2023, we carried out the field trip of the microplastics characterization and reduction module, in the San José lagoon, Suárez channel and Piñones lagoon. We thank the volunteers who accompanied us; Yojanny Guzman, Hanna Rodriguez, Maria Garcia and Naiara Gonzalez, as well as Captain David Ramirez, who led the boat trip. See the photo gallery, here.
Centennial community fair in Taller Comunidad La Goyco
Message from your Virtual Community Hub
Take advantage of our information platform, the Estuario Virtual Community Hub, where you will find vital information to prepare with your family and community.
To learn about risk mitigation strategies at Estuario and identify the risks, conditions and assets in your community, go to: https://estuario.org/mitigacion/
Weekly water quality monitoring
Evaluation conducted on Thursday, August 3, 2023. We have a GREEN flag for the Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve. Some stations exceeded the water quality parameter for enterococci (70 CFU/100mL). We recommend avoiding direct contact with these spaces. Remember to avoid the water during rain events.