The San Juan Bay Estuary Partnership, or Estuario is looking to hire a Estuario Project Coordinator – Public Outreach and Education to work onsite at the Condado Lagoon Natural Estuarine Reserve to educate on the importance of the Lagoon and engage with its users and the general public.
Established in 1994, the Estuario is a partnership whose mission is to restore and conserve the waters and associated ecosystems of the San Juan Bay Estuary (SJBE) and its watershed to ensure the prosperity of our tropical ecosystems, the health of our communities and the vitality of the economy in the San Juan Bay Estuary and its urban watershed. The Estuario serves as a catalyst and facilitator, and operates as a regional, trustworthy, and science-based non-profit organization registered with the Puerto Rico Department of State. As a National Estuary Program, Estuario’s focuses on implementing the Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP) for the SJBE.
In 2013, through Law No. 112, the Condado Lagoon was designated an estuarine reserve by the Government of Puerto Rico. This legislation established a commission for community management, and the development of the Conservation Management Plan for the Condado Lagoon Estuarine Reserve. The co-management of the lagoon is guided by this plan and is meant to attend to the critical issues impeding the sustainability of the management plan through actions related to Coordination, Education and Awareness, Vigilance and Compliance, Fiscal status, and Ordinate of Aquatic Uses.
The Estuario Project Coordinator for Public Engagement will work onsite at the Condado Lagoon and carry out an ongoing education and awareness program emphasizing the importance of protecting and conserving the Lagoon through activities and events. These activities will implement actions that restore and conserve the quality of the Condado Lagoon and actively engage the public in water restoration.
- Develop and carry out an action plan that is approved by the Supervisor based on high usage times to represent the Estuario onsite and carry out activities/events at the Laguna de Condado.
- Identify, coordinate, and carry out activities that would advance the implementation of the CCMP and/or the Conservation Management Plan for the Condado Lagoon Estuarine Reserve.
- Inform, educate, and engage the public around restoration and ecological aspects of the Condado Lagoon during high usage times.
- Engage targeted audiences (business owners, hotels, partner organizations, volunteers, outdoor recreation audiences, etc.) to participate in activities that emphasize the importance of the protecting and conserving the Condado Lagoon for the San Juan Bay Estuary ecosystem in coordination with the Education team.
- Coordinate and carry out tabling events to share educational materials and engage with the users of the Lagoon and the general public.
- Conduct workshops/activities to know the flora and fauna in collaboration with Condado Lagoon users and the community.
- Coordinate meetings with the Amigos de la Laguna, including developing the agenda, sending invitations, reserving the meeting space, support in documenting meeting minutes, and sharing relevant materials prior to the meeting.
- Coordinate with the Communications team to promote activities.
- Coordinate and carry out all Cine del Estuario events.
- Coordinate with all relevant stakeholders to ensure activities/events have the required permits and/or documentation.
- Demonstrated work experience with environmental fieldwork including in inclement conditions and following safety protocols
- Demonstrated work experience with hands-on restoration activities, including but not limited to school programs, leadership training, educational workshops, awareness-raising activities, and effective hands-on water conservation and restoration projects
Commensurate with experience.
Fully bilingual in English and Spanish.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates please submit a cover letter and resume/CV by email no later than October 4, 2023: [email protected]. The email and cover letter must be directed to Brenda Torres, Executive Director, and must specify in the subject the title of the position, «Estuario Project Coordinator -Public Outreach and Education
Source of funding: EPA 320 Grant 29
The Corporation for the Conservation of the SJBE provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or genetics. MBE/WBE and other certified minorities and small businesses are encouraged to apply.